As the Pacific Northwest braces for a dangerous wildfire season, U.S. Senator Maria Cantwell (D-WA) publicly pressed U.S. Forest Service Chief Tom Schultz on May 13, 2026 over the Trump administration's decision to withhold $49 million in federal wildfire and forest management funds from Washington state โ funding that communities depend on for fire preparedness, suppression capacity, and forest health work.
The Funding Dispute
Earlier this year, the U.S. Department of Agriculture unexpectedly revised the "terms and conditions" attached to federal grants and contracts flowing to states for wildfire response and forest management. Critics say the new conditions โ which appear to include DEI and immigration enforcement compliance requirements โ effectively cut off several Democratic-led states from receiving funds that have routinely been allocated for years.
Washington state is among those affected, with $49 million currently frozen. The funds support a wide range of fire preparedness and forest management activities, including approximately $6 million in Good Neighbor Authority funding that allows the state to perform Forest Service management work on federal lands within its borders. Another consequence: roughly 80 million board feet of timber worth an estimated $42 million cannot be delivered to local wood product markets, affecting both forest health and rural economies.
Cantwell Presses for Answers
During a Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee hearing, Sen. Cantwell did not mince words.
"I'm very concerned, because we don't seem to be prepared on the front lines here. Because of the new restrictions on the Department of Agriculture's grants and contracts, the State of Washington cannot release $49 million in funding to help fight fires and manage our forests," Cantwell said. "How can we get your commitment to reverse that and get this money out the door?"
Chief Schultz responded that the agency had been "working extensively with the states" and maintained that direct firefighting capacity was not being impacted. Sen. Cantwell countered that with peak fire season approaching, paperwork and negotiations were not sufficient โ the dollars needed to flow.
"The dollars aren't out the door," Cantwell said. "When are the dollars going to be out the door? These are funds that flow every year normally, but now aren't flowing."
Broader Budget Concerns
The funding dispute is part of a broader budget debate over the administration's proposed Fiscal Year 2027 budget, which calls for consolidating wildfire agencies into a new U.S. Wildland Fire Service. The proposal also relocates the Hazardous Fuels budget line item โ previously used for wildfire risk reduction projects โ to the new agency, raising concerns from senators like California's Alex Padilla that the restructuring could separate landscape managers with critical expertise from fire operations teams.
The administration's proposed suppression budget is $1.4 billion, covering incident management personnel, aviation assets, logistical services, and temporary emergency firefighters. Critics argue that without adequate upstream fuels management and state partnerships, suppression costs will continue to rise.
What's at Stake for the Northwest
Washington state faces an above-average fire season in 2026 according to all major forecast models. With funding frozen, the state's ability to pre-position resources, complete fuel reduction projects, and support early-season detection and response may be compromised. Some litigation by states has been filed challenging the administration's new funding conditions, with those cases currently working through the courts.
The dispute highlights the growing tension between federal wildfire policy and state-level preparedness needs โ a tension that could have serious consequences when fire season peaks in July and August.